Monday, October 31, 2011

Polygamy Porter

Brew: Polygamy Porter  "Why Have Just One!"
Brewer: Wasatch Brew Pub and Brewery, Park City, Utah
Style: American Porter
ABV: 4.0%


Okay.

Okay.  ... A Polygamy Porter?!  CLEARLY I purchased a six pack of this brew within the first 7 hours of my arrival in Albuquerque.


I landed at ABQ, rented my car, started to drive toward the rental house, and promptly got distracted by a sign on the interstate for Rio Grande Nature Center.  Anyway, after a 3-hour sidetrack at the park, I met up with the wedding party at a yummy restaurant in Albuquerque, had lunch and then made a trip to Sunflower Farmers Market to stock op on food for the weekend.


I, of course, promptly made my way to the back of the store to check out the local beer selection. I... LOVE travelling out west.  One, because there are mountains (duh), and two, because I can get all sorts of brews (delicious, west coast brews) that I can't find in Tampa.  While browsing the beer section (in which I, thrillingly, didn't recognize half of the brewers), I happened upon... this.  This sweet, polygamous nectar, straight from the Mormon capital of the world: Salt Lake City, Utah.  Which would explain, as a porter, it is only 4.0% ABV (apparently, no beer in Utah can be brewed above this percentage).


My decision was swift and certain.  Why would I NOT purchase this beer?!  First and foremost, it is called Polygamy Porter.  Um, not short of brilliant.  And secondly, IT IS BREWED IN DAMN UTAH FOR CHRISSAKE!


But really.  Let's get down to biznaz.


Upon opening this brew, I saw that it poured a nice, deep brown, that displayed a beautiful garnet shine in the middle of the beer when I held it up to the porch window and let the last rays of the desert sun penetrate the glass. And pleasingly, the beer in the corners of the pilsner glinted with a nut-brown color.  I have never seen such an interesting color combination in a beer before -- and in a porter, of all things!


And the head of the beer is amazing!  I mean, just look at the picture. At least two inches of light, fluffy, chocolatey cotton candy. And, as I drink it, it has left a really romantic ecru lacing around the inside of my glass -- reminiscent of the aerial view of the brambles of pinyon pine scattered across the dusty desert landscape that I observed as I landed in the city early this morning.


The smell is really quite delicious. Dark malts, chocolate (milk, not dark), and caramel. Standard delicious combination of smells for a porter.  One review said it smelled faintly of tobacco, and upon further sniffing, I find that I agree.


As for the taste -- it is, to be fair, nothing to sing about.  It is a porter, certainly, but all the normal porter characteristics that you might have are simply subdued and kind of leave you wishing for a richer, deeper, more complex taste. That being said -- it is not a bad beer! It is a tasty porter. Just not inspiring.  There are burnt notes in the taste, and some nice caramel.


The mouthfeel is also uninspiring, sadly.  Again, not bad! But a bit watery. I'd likes some chewiness or more carbonation. 


The Polygamy Porter, overall, is actually a very drinkable beer. I mean, it is a 4.0% ABV brew! It's a really light porter; the water used to make it is clearly crisp and clean. That, in combination with its low ABV, make it an excellent brew for first-time porter drinkers who need to start easy. ...Really, why have just one?


Cheers!  To love.  All love.

No comments:

Post a Comment