Sunday, October 9, 2011

Woodchuck Pumpkin Cider... no thanks.

Brew: Woodchuck Hard Pumpkin Cider
Brewer: Woodchuck Cidery, Middlebury, VT
Style: Cider
ABV: 6.9%

So.  Woodchuck.  I am not impressed.  I am not blown away.  I am not overwhelmed.  I am simply... whelmed.  This cider is yucky.

I bought like 20 different kinds of pumpkin brews a few days ago, because if I'm going to have to endure the month of October, I'm going to do it drunkenly and with pumpkin-flavored things.  I love Woodchuck's other ciders, so when I saw that they'd made a very limited number of barrels of a hard pumpkin cider, I danced a little jig and bought a sixer.

SO SAD!  It is just not good.  =(  It is, however, the first pumpkin cider EVER (according to this website, anyway).  Upon discovering that information I became less opposed to it.  I mean, the first incarnation of anything kinda sucks, right?  Eeesh.

Okay here we go:

Appearance:  Beautiful.  The brew has a darker, orangey tint to it that the normal ciders do not exhibit.
Smell:  Overly-sweet cider.  I don't pick up pumpkin.

Taste:  ...Overly-sweet cider.  I don't pick up pumpkin.  Eh.  In fact, it leaves a syrupy sweet aftertaste/coating on the back of my tongue that is just unpleasant.

Mouthfeel:  I mean you know.  It's fine.  It's like any other cider's mouthfeel.

Overall/Drinkability:  Okay well I have five more of these now sitting in my fridge.  Does someone want one?

No comments:

Post a Comment